This is a competency era. Organizations need to not only map and develop competencies required for managers to perform their current role well but also those required for future roles in the organization.
Competency mapping is the process of identifying the competencies required to perform successfully in a given job or role at a given point of time. It consists of breaking down a given role into its constituent tasks or activities and identifying the competencies (technical, managerial, behavioral, conceptual knowledge, attitudes, skills, etc.) needed to perform the same successfully.
Competency mapping is used as the basis for any competency assessment that can be done at a later stage. Competency assessment is the assessment of the extent to which an individual or a set of individuals possess the competencies required for a given role or level. The output of a comprehensive competency mapping of key positions is a role directory.
- 400 + ROLES MAPPED
- 27 CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS IN COMPETENCY MAPPING COVERING 735 PARTICIPANTS
- 20 IN-HOUSE TRAINING PROGRAMS
- 2 CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS IN SRILANKA IN COLLABORATION WITH CIPM
- MULTIPLE PROGRAMS CONDUCTED FOR LEADING BUSINESS SCHOOLS
Benefits of Competency Mapping:
- More Professionalism in the organization
- Better role to individual fitment
- Focused development of individuals by identifying and building their competencies
- Assessment gets extended to Individuals, Teams, and Organization and leads to the continuous development of the organization
- Improved internal communication
- Focused attention of people on Job-specific behavior’sand competencies
- Improved competencies of critical groups of managers by providing them insights into their competencies and developmental opportunities.
- Creation of a competency-based culture in the organization
Competency mapping can be used as a basis to further design and develop the following:
- A Human Resource Information System, highlighting basic qualifications, skill sets, and experience of all employees of the organization. The HRIS can help in monitoring manpower planning, recruitment, identification of training needs and other HRD interventions.
- A Role Directory containing job-descriptions, responsibility, authority, etc. Such a directory aims at helping the organization clarify roles and fix accountabilities.
- A Performance Management System by incorporating the competencies needed for various categories of jobs.
- A system for identifying training and development needs and training and a development plan that could be used annually.
- Competency Mapping outcomes can be used for succession planning through Assessment and Development Centers. It can also be used for Leadership Development by designing a 360 Degree Feedback tool using the competencies generated by the competency mapping exercise.
TVRLS Expertise Lies In:
- Handbook for Development Action Plans (TVRLS)
- Handbook of Behavior Indicators
- Competency Mapping Education Kit (TVRLS)